Thursday, February 21, 2008

Simply Lasagna

I made this lasagna recipe the other night when we had a bunch of friends over and it was pretty yummy so I thought I'd share it. You make it with uncooked noodles which cook while it's baking - that was easy:

Ingredients:

~ 1 lb. ground beef (I used ground chicken)
~ 1 egg, beaten
~ 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
~ 1 container (15 oz.) Ricotta Cheese
~ 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
~ 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I didn't have fresh so I just shook in some dried parsley)
~ 1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
~ 1 cup water
~ 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown meat in large skillet on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix egg, 1 1/4 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the parsley until well blended; set aside.

2. Drain meat; return to skillet. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Add water to empty sauce jar; cover with lid and shake well. Add to meat mixture; stir until well blended.

3. Spread 1 cup of the sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; top with layers of 3 lasagna noodles, one-third of the ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining 3 noodles and the remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover with greased foil.

4. Bake 45 min. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 min. or until heated through. Let stand 15 min. before cutting to serve.

Makes 12 servings, 1 piece each.

My adjustments:

~ I used at least 4 more noodles than they said - I'm not sure what kind of 13x9 pans they were talking about but 3 noodles just wasn't filling my pan and I like a lot of noodles.

~ When it was all done it seemed just a bit dry so I think next time I'll use more sauce and maybe a little more cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments: