Monday, November 20, 2006

Waiting In Line For A PS3

Last time I wrote I thought I would be home alone for 3 days (that was Tuesday night). Turned out I was wrong. :) Wednesday I had a conference to go to for work that was in Valley Forge, so, embarassing as it was, I asked if I could drive my car to the conference and then afterward not go back to work so I could hopefully get in line for a PS3 before the line filled up. I got to Best Buy at about 1:30 on Wednesday and was 15th in line (Jon was 1st). Jon talked to the people in front of me so I was able to hang out and sleep in the tent that Jon was in with Nate, David and John Hendricks. Here's a picture of the first two tents in line and a few people (the big yellow & blue tent is ours): Most of the other people in line were very friendly so everyone hung out together. By the end, a lot of us knew each other pretty well. Here's a close up of our tent (the one side of it isn't up in this picture): After I got there the line started filling up quickly, by around 5 or 6 that night there were as many people in line as Play Stations that Best Buy was getting (28). Someone in line decided to write up a list with the names of everyone in line so that no one could budge and say that they were in line if they weren't (people get crazy about these systems). There was a 24 hour Giant, a Target, a Lowes, and other stores, all right there in the same shopping center, so we were able to get out of line for little bits at a time to go get food or use the restrooms. People were pretty easy going about it.

Shawna and Kelsey got to Best Buy around 3:00 and they were racing about 3 other people who were also on their way. Shawna brought the Hendricks camping grill so some of us cooked up hamburgers for dinner Wednesday night and Thursday we made bacon and eggs for breakfast. A few of the guys also made Steaks for dinner Thursday night:

Nate making hamburgers:


Steaks:



Me reading a magazine:
Thursday it rained so we bought a tarp at Lowes and put it over the tent to keep it from leaking. Then we all sat inside watching two movies on a laptop, which was hooked up to a car battery for power :). In the picture below you can see our tent in the background with the tarp over it:
Thursday we were on Channel 10 news two times. Throughout the entire time we were sitting there 2 news papers came to do interviews and Wired 96.5 (a local radio station) also came out. Channel 10 news interviewed Jon and Nate personally and video taped us grilling and sitting around.

The NBC 10 news van:


Channel 10 News video taping:


EVERYONE asked up what we were doing there! It was pretty fun, other than the fact that we couldn't get showers and it rained pretty hard on Thursday so it was very moist and a little damp on the outsides corners of the tent.

Here you can sort-of see some of the tents but they also wrapped around the building:

It was definatly an experience :)

No comments: