Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finally - Pics of Myrtle Beach

Alright, I'm slowing going to catch up with all the blogging I've been missing. Starting with these pictures from our vacation to Myrtle Beach back in September.

This year we took Nate & Shawna's car down for a change - normally we take our car. It was tight but luckily we were able to put a bunch of our stuff in others cars so we got it all to fit.


Here's Jon outside of Cici's pizza. This restaurant has become a tradition to stop at on the way down. They have all-you-can-eat pizza and salad bar. It's very cheap and the pizza is pretty good. Don't ask me who started the tradition of stuffing ourselves at an all-you-can-eat place right in the middle of a 12 hour car trip! 


Here we are! We finally made it through the approximately 11.5 hour drive.


There are tennis courts right outside of our room so almost every morning some of us play tennis. This is Jon, Nate & Alysa. I think I played one morning - I'm not a big tennis player :).


The guys always play football on the beach a few days:


Kassia, Shawna, Amanda & I out on the beach:


With Amanda getting engaged the week before we left for Myrtle Beach, it was common for Shawna, her and I to be seen sitting on the couch like this, looking up wedding invitations, or dresses or doing some other kind of wedding planning. We had a lot of fun :).


This is another Myrtle Beach tradition. We always go to Miyabi - a really go0d Japanese Hibachi grill - for at least one meal. This trip our group took up four tables the size of this one:


Another tradition we have is spending an entire day at nearby Pawleys Island crabbing and fishing. To crab we tie a piece of raw chicken on the end of a rope and throw it in the water. Then you wait for a while to let the crabs climb onto it and then slowly pull the rope in and catch the crab with a net. We always catch about a 5 gallon size bucket full of crabs. Jon and Brendan are then usually the ones to boil them all and get the meat out. Here's Jon and I on Pawleys Island:


Me fishing at Pawleys Island:


This is at a fishing pier not far up the beach from where we stay. We take the extra chicken from crabbing and feed it to the sharks there. This is one reason you'll never see me in the water with everyone - after seeing how many sharks there are I'm too scared to get in the water. I think I was in once this year. The entire time I was in I wouldn't let Jon leave me alone and I was out within maybe 5 minutes or so.


Jon caught a pretty good size shark while fishing out on the beach one night around 1:00am. Some of the guys cut it all up and Jon made breaded and fried shark meat. Only after all that did we find out there's a very large fine for catching a shark on the beach. Oops! The locals don't want people pulling sharks in and scaring away all the vacationers. At least Jon caught it in the middle of the night so no one else saw but the guys that were fishing with him.


Here they're boiling down the shark head to get the teeth out - it smelled horrible and looked disgusting!


This is at another one of the restaurants we always go to while down in Myrtle Beach. It's called Ryan's and it's a big buffet with lots of good food.


There's also always one night where we all get together for an outdoor pot luck dinner. Here's the food line:


Here's Jon and a few of the other guys holding the buckets above their heads till they fill up...


And then letting them go so they get colder that usual water dumped on them. Then they run over and jump in the hot tub.


Well that's all. We had a great time once again down in Myrtle Beach!

No comments: