Friday, January 02, 2009

Baby Update

I have some exciting news today! Jon and I went for my 2nd ultrasound this morning. We could actually tell it was a baby we were looking at this time. :) At first the baby was just resting in there and not moving too much. We could see the little heart beating but other than that, no movement. As the ultrasound technician continued to prod my belly though, it got the baby moving. After a while it wasn't cooperating at all anymore and was moving all around - we think it had the hiccups :). It was so neat seeing the little hands and feet that waved around every once-in-a-while and it's little nose sticking out. Jon thinks the baby has my nose... we'll see :). Baby is measuring in at a little under 6cm long (from the tip of it's head to it's bum), and is just the right size. I'm 12 weeks 4 days pregnant today and the baby's measuring at 12 weeks 3 days - which is an average for all the measurements. Here's our little cutie:

(the head is on the right and you can see the little nose and an ear - it was so much easier to see on the live video but this is the best we got printed)

(This picture is a view from the back - it looks like the baby has a tail but we think that's a leg/foot)

The ultrasound lady also discovered what is the likely cause of my previous spotting - a pouch of blood in-between the lining of my uterus. She said this is somewhat common and should go away as the baby gets bigger, however, she said not to be surprised if I see more spotting in the future. I have to go in for another ultrasound at 16 weeks so they can check on it. It's good to know there's a reason for the spotting I've had and that it shouldn't be a problem.

More good news is that my morning sickness seems to be finally fading away, yea!! I noticed first this past Saturday that I wasn't feeling quite as sick as usual but I wasn't convinced until waiting a few days and noticing the same thing. I still have queasy times but for the most part I've been feeling pretty good. I seem to be hungrier though too now, and when I get hungry the hunger pains are pretty uncomfortable still. It's better than feeling sick though :).

My belly is starting to visibly stick out now too - especially after eating. It makes everything a bit more real when I look down to see a little bump :).

I think that's about all the baby updates I can think of. I'm looking forward to the second trimester and hoping to get my energy back so I can keep up with my house again and start working on the baby room soon!

2 comments:

sarah said...

Babies are such a miracle!
We can't wait to meet baby Friedrich and have a buddy for Callie. :)
So glad you've been feeling better!

Kelsey said...

AHHHHHH MY LITTLE NIECE OR NEPHEW!!!!! I'm so excited! :) It looks cute already!